Tuesday, March 20, 2007

New Biker in Town

Two weekends ago, me and Chico went to buy bikes. I said I would never ride a bike in Shanghai but... Evolution is inevitable, and we have to be enough open minded for new challenges. Yeah, it's dangerous as hell - the only rule is that the bigger vehicle has priority regardless of any traffic sign or regulation - but I decided to risk it! I believe that if I am able to ride a bike in Shanghai I'll be able to ride a bike anywhere in the world (maybe even become a MotoGP rider). :)

Chico had bought his bike before me and spent the whole day telling me about the advantages of having one. After a while I agreed and we left. The objective was buying the bike and then going for a tour in Shanghai. He took his bike and I sat in the "back seat". First stop Taco Bell for great enchilladas and Chinese people dressed like Mexicans. The best thing is that when we entered the restaurant all of them were shouting HOLA!!! at us. Just hilarious. It happened that it was the only word they knew in Spanish. Good effort though. :)

After lunch we went on with our journey to the bike shop. We were half the way when the unexpected happened. Chico bought the cheapest bike in the store (something like 18€). Obviously the material was not the best and not prepared to carry 2 guys... Result: the wheel collapsed!! We almost fell down and everyone couldn't stop laughing!! One day after buying the bike we had trashed it... Nice, huh? We could not ride it anymore so we took it to the bike shop (about 30 minutes walk) on our hands.
Just a bit busy! :)

The bike shop is in a very busy street full of traditional shops that sell almost anything. The guy only speaks chinese and.... GERMAN! Why? Because he lived there for some years... Got some money and opened his own business in Shanghai. Chico gave his bike to the mechanic and I started my search. It took 3 minutes, I had found my baby! Yeah!!! The only thing that was keeping me from "her" were 40 long minutes of bargaining (i have no idea how i managed but I guess my GerChinglish is quite good!). But no one could separate us! 300 RMB (30€) and my upgraded (yes... 2 locks, a bell and a hamper) babe was ready for Papa!

About to find my Babe!!

As security comes first I had to buy a helmet, hehe! The result was this... Shanghai has a new biker in town!
My Cutie... :)

YMCA? :)





2 comments:

Miss Japa said...

tenho que te mostrar a minha baby power two wheeler em tokyo quando ela cá chegar a casa depois. já quanto à pose YMCA é que já não prometo nada ;P

Zariza said...

Miudo esse capacete fica-te a ma-tar. liiindo.

 
in Transition